Lifeboat Gebroeders Luden
The Gebroeders Luden is one of 5 Carlot type boats. She measures 21 by 4 metres and was built in 1965 by the Gebroeders Niestern shipyard in Delfzijl and was financed by the legacy of J.W.A. Luden in memory of his brother Hendrik, who drowned in the North Sea (21ste July 1924).
She started service in 1965 in the station Oostmahorn as successor tot the legendary self-righting lifeboat Insulinde. She is powered by two 8 cylinder Kromhout motors. When the Lauwerszee was closed in 1969 the Gebroeders Luden was transferred to Lauwersoog. In 1996 a faster lifeboat was stationed in Lauwersoog and the Gebroeders luden was leased to the Icelandic Rescue Service.
After 9 years in Iceland the boat returned home to Lauwersoog. In 2006 the Trust for the preservation of the boat was founded and the Gebroeders Luden purchased from the KNRM and based in the Gemeente de Marne. After 1196 rescues and 40 years service she went into retirement. The Gebroeders Luden is moored in the Sea Harbour Lauwersoog.
The aim of the Trust is to keep the ex-KNRM Lifeboat Gebroeders Luden in a service ready condition. To raise donations and sponsors to cover the costs of upkeep and to put the activities on a sound financial basis to organise trips
- promote the Trust by attending events
- organisation and promotion of:
- cultural or historical activities
- promotion of the Wadden environment
- to encourage recreation/tourism
The Gebroeders Luden is available to hire for a variety of activities:
- Trips round the Lauwersmeer, wad or sea
- Scattering of ashes
- Arrange trips with walking across the Wad (similar to mud flats), including packed lunch from the area if required
- Sea trips, including a visit to the island Schiermonnikoog
- Special trips can also be arranged according to wishes
- Max.12 people can be carried and for a minimum of half a day
Despite the efforts of the many volunteers, the upkeep of the GL is expensive. We are therefore grateful for the support we have from donors and the services of local companies.
Would you like to become a donor?